Michael is an Accountant - originally qualifying in Australia he now holds qualifications with CPA Australia and the Association of International Accountants (UK).
Michael previously worked as the Financial Controller (Europe) and Global Financial Systems Manager for Cable & Wireless before leaving to create his own consultancy business.
Mike's first fork of Compiere was before the Adempiere project (30/03/2005 - https://sourceforge.net/projects/akunaerp/) but joined the project when it looked like a newly formed collaboration would be politically more acceptable.
Mike's blog can be found here: http://www.mikejudd.com
Since moving in to consulting, Michael has worked with a range of clients including:
- Barclays Bank - Group Finance - Establish Group Information Management Team to provide internal expertise linking enterprise business systems and finance users & sitting on the IFRS Implementation Team for Group Finance to advise on technology issues of implementation of IFRS in Barclays group.
- British Telecom (BT) - Engage reporting communities within the BT group and consolidate the process and staff the more efficiently
- Security Capital - Establish systems to manage simultaneous reporting accross the portfolio in US, UK and Luxembourg GAAP
- Access Self Storage - Identify best practise in the call centre and design and implement systems to embed best practise and establish operational KPI's for all staff
- Bernheim Comofi - Identify business systems constraints and resolve prior to sale to AXA
Michael now focuses on consulting around business ecosystems including collaborative commerce, operational kpis and enterprise business intelligence.
- Collaborative Commerce - Open & Flexible 
- Open Source Savings for Accountants - 
- 6 Years Living on Open Source - an article on my experiences making my living from open source
Michael contributes domain expertise to the Adempiere project, specifically around compliance with accounting standards, tax laws and other compliances issues.
Michael delivered a workshop session on Accounting Issues at the Adempiere Conference, Berlin, 31 May 2007
Some of Mike's contribution include:
- Allowing the user to view Description URL's in the Product Lookup and right click to open in a browser http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1748675&group_id=176962&atid=879335 Video:Media:InfoProductURL.ogg
- Restricting purchase price lists to purchase order screens and sales price lists to sales order screens
- New rounding rule - ending in whole currency unit of 9 or 5 http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1708139&group_id=176962&atid=879335 (release 321)
- Web service for UK post code lookup http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1741222&group_id=176962&atid=879335 (release 321)
- InfoProduct search by supplier http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1675372&group_id=176962&atid=879335 (release 321)
- Record shipment date when generating shipments http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1714090&group_id=176962&atid=879335 (release 321)
- Multiple Select products on Sales Order (work around for master - detail) http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1968274&forum_id=610546 (release 350)
- Discount Reason - prompt the user to enter a reason for giving a discount in the order / invoice window http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1707517&group_id=176962&atid=879335 (Release 350)
- Additional Credit Cards including UK Maestro, Solo, Visa Electron, Visa Debit (Delta) https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4884164
- Optional dummy input of Credit Card numbers (to mirror chip and pin device) https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=7437133
- Optional deprecation of cash journal => cash payment https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2803341&group_id=176962&atid=879335
- How to add the open balance to an invoice
- Stats from ohloh.net: https://www.ohloh.net/p/adempiere/contributors/15773267416470
- Magento Integration with ADempiere http://adempiere.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/adempiere/contributions/juddm/Features/MagentoIntegration/
- Google web calendar integration with the web dashboard https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3066158&group_id=176962&atid=883808
- Allow multiple sequences by org - this means each org can have a separate sequence for the *same* document type as required by legal entities without creating multiple document types, and orgs can also share sequences required by divisions Document Sequence by Org
Awaiting Voting from the community
- Tax exempt sales where the price list includes tax http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1967342&forum_id=610546 (integrating requirements of Country Specific VAT and with Victor's Global Tax Management)
Notes on UK Post Code Lookup
The UK postcodes are owned by Royal Mail and they refuse to give them away for free - even to open source communities. Therefore, we have created a web plugin that allows you to connect directly to their web service and access either street level or premises level data. It works by adding an online box on the Location Form and you enter the post code and press the "lookup" button and the system searches their database and returns information that will overwrite the information you have in the street / suburb fields (if you accept the prompt)
We have negotiated a special rate with Royal Mail which we think is quite good - it is approximately £150 per user per annum for unlimited lookups of street level data. This is in production with existing customers so please contact us if you would like the plugin. NOTE: Royal Mail will require you to enter in to a licensing agreement with them (directly) to prevent you from 'stealing' the data.
Please get in touch with me if you are interested in these areas and we can collaborate....
- Accounting system overhaul
- multi org reporting & consolidation
- profit centre
- remoting of the accounting kernel
- Fax server integration (for faxing orders / invoices) - utilising Hylafax
See the Accounting Pages.